Friday, June 3, 2011

The Amazing Sky



A couple of years ago I made a short film called, "The Amazing Sky" It was entirely made up of time lapse shots of the sky. It made me aware of two things.
One, shooting time lapse is very tricky and takes a long long time. Patience is definitely needed.
And two, the sky really is amazing.

I truly think that people don't look up enough. Everyday the sky is different. It can be totally clear and blue, have slight wisps of cloud or be very dramatic. The sky, especially the weather that comes with it, affects us daily, yet we often pay no attention to it. It is also just beautiful. Take five minutes or even just one and look at the sky. Do it right now.

We often wonder how ancient people were so good at knowing the time of day or navigation or building monuments that line up perfectly with the sun or stars. It is no mystery. They simply were aware of their surroundings. They looked up.

 Over the next few months I will be shooting some more time lapse and will make another short film. I hope to include some dramatic shots of the stars moving across the night sky (even trickier to shoot). I will also take the time to look down. There is a lot that happens beneath our feet too.

Until then, I hope you enjoy "The Amazing Sky".

1 comment:

  1. Nice video! Love the time lapse. I used to make them too. What's the name of the soundtrack in this film? It sounds epic.

    ReplyDelete