Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lara Logan Attacked in Cairo

A statement from CBS news on February 15th said that correspondent, Lara Logan "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating" in Cairo on February 11th during the celebrations of ex-president Mubarak stepping down. Lara was apparently separated from her crew and was attacked by a mob. She was later rescued by a group of women and Egyptian soldiers.

She "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating".
That line is chilling and horrifying. "Brutal" and especially "sustained" really make it worse. One can imagine (although I really don't want to) what is meant by "sustained". It is just terrible.

My reaction was shock, sadness and overwhelming anger. No one, anywhere should ever have to suffer anything like that. I felt that I would like to see those responsible strung up.

I then had to question myself as to why I had this reaction. Assaults and sexual assaults happen everyday all over the world to all kinds of good people. Why, when I hear in the news of some stranger suffering a sexual assault do I think, "that's terrible" then move on to think of other things. Is it precisely because they are a stranger? Maybe.
I don't personally know Lara Logan so why has this event sparked such emotions in me?

I think it is because I have seen her reporting. I have seen her in interviews. She is an incredibly intelligent woman. She does a very important and often dangerous job. She is courageous. She is very beautiful (this should have no bearing at all, however subconsciously I have to admit that it does). I have great respect for her and admire what she does. And the fact that she is seen on TV makes one feel like they do know her (the same would apply if it was any celebrity or public figure). And that maybe the reason.

It would be great to live in a world where these things did not happen. Unfortunately we do. Hopefully events such as this will make others react like I did. The more people that have respect for women and are repulsed by those who do not, the better things will be.

I hope that Lara Logan recovers soon both physically and emotionally. I hope she continues to do what she loves and is good at. A good sign is that CBS probably would not have reported what happened to her if she didn't approve. To me that is a sign that she is a very strong woman.

I hope only the best for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment