Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Survivor Dumb and Dumber?

This year is full of dumb moves. Tonight's episode had a few. I'll go through them as I get to them, but first...

How did you like the commercial for Sprint's new 4G phone? I know that every year they have sponsors and show the products. This year it seems that they are going above and beyond product placement. First they had the preview of Gulliver then had each Survivor that watched it give a review. This time they went out of their way to advertise the phone. I love the insert shot of a hand (probably not even Jeff Probst's hand) holding the phone with a big 4G on the screen.

The reward challenge was the loved ones reward. The cynics among us probably groan when this reward comes each and every year. I, however, am not a cynic and have come to be surprisingly touched by these rewards. I have often thought that if I were on the show would I get that emotional. After all they have only been gone for a little more than a month. But I suppose, if you have been living in the sun and the rain with very little food surrounded by people who you really can't trust because you are playing a game, you might be emotional to see a loved one and have that piece of home with you.

Now, here comes another of Chase's dumb moves. Last week he pissed off Sash by not taking him on the reward and almost jeopardized his alliance. He survived that. This week, he told Fabio and Sash that if he were to win, he would take the two of them. Chase won. Chase chose Sash and Holly. Fabio was very upset. Crying like a baby even. But I think understandably so.

So this should have alerted Fabio as to where he stood in the pecking order. Dan was smart enough to see this. The big problem for Chase and company could have been Jane, who now clearly saw where she stood. So Chase, in his wishy washy way, made some incredibly dumb moves. But he was not the only one. Why on earth Jane, Dan and Fabio didn't decide to align, I don't know. Jane even said as much at tribal.

The immunity challenge is where things can really change even the best laid plans. The plan according to Chase, Sash and Holly was to get rid of Fabio next. Fabio knew this and Fabio won the challenge. I was surprised how close it was. So what to do. Chase and co. could not vote for Fabio. Should they vote for Dan or Jane? Chase didn't want to vote for Jane. Here is where Fabio worked to convince them to vote Jane. The logic is sound. Jane, if brought to final four, could conceivably win immunity and make it to the final three. They all believe, although I don't know if it would be the case, that Jane would win if she got to the end. So it is better to get rid of her earlier than later. The conundrum that I can't reconcile is why Fabio and Dan decided that that was the best move for them. If they had forced a tie with Jane and Holly then it's possible that Holly could have gone home. They then could have picked of Sash and Chase in the next two votes as they would no longer have their hidden immunity idols. It seems to me that this option would have best served Fabio and Dan. Maybe they know something that I don't.

So Jane was voted out by all. I did like how she put out the fire. They all deserved that.

Oh, and another thing, Jane was upset that her alliance lied and stabbed her in the back. I am always amazed that people get so upset when people lie. The whole object of the game is to Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. Just because someone that you have become friends with lies to you in the game or votes you out doesn't mean that they are dishonourable. If I am playing Monopoly against my best friend, I will play to win. I will make deals with other players that may screw my friend over. It doesn't mean we are not friends. It is the game. Survivors GET OVER IT!
I hope if I were ever to play Survivor that I would remember to take my own advice.

The final episode is next. I really don't know who will win. I think it would be a shame if the threesome of Holly, Chase and Sash were the final three. They are far too cocky. I would like to see Fabio win. The only chance I see for him is if he wins immunity again or if he can convince the guys that Holly is just as much a threat to win as Jane would have been. I personally would like to see Fabio and Dan get to the end. Dan would be perfect to take because it's very unlikely that the jury would vote for him (although you never know). It is going to be interesting and hard to predict. At least it looks like the season with the most inept players ever will finish with a bang (well, maybe not a bang but a loud pop).

No comments:

Post a Comment